Are You Sure Your Diet Doesnt Affect Your Acne?

For those of you who have met me, you know I am often mistaken for being an 18 year old when in actuality I'm 27. I'm currently teaching after-school cooking classes in Brooklyn to middle school kids and I was mistaken for one of the students by an employee. I almost got in trouble for being in the hallway!

All I can say is that the organic food and vegetables must be working!

...and I use Oil of Olay (with SPF) everyday although I am searching for a more natural product that I will like.

Developing Acne

Around the age of 18 I started developing a mild case of adult acne. It actually wasn't too bad, but I noticed it because my face had always been very clear. I was stumped as to why this was happening.

I solved the problem, and I thought it would be great to share my discovery with you. Not only to show how food does affect our skin, but also because maybe it will work for you too!

Caffeine

Around the same time I developed the acne I was also becoming a social coffee drinker. It took me awhile to put two and two together, but I eventually experimented with eliminating the coffee. Guess what! The pimples went away.

Hmmm... So what could it have been? I then figured out that my skin would break out if I had soda, chocolate, or tea. The common factor was caffeine. In fact, I was so sensitive that even decaf caused me to have blemishes. (Decaf still contains a small amount of caffeine leftover from the process.) I also later discovered that alcohol would have the same effect.

I'm not a dermatologist, and many of them will tell you that what you eat does not affect whether you have acne or not, but I will tell you from first hand experience that it does. What seemed to be happening was that caffeine or alcohol would stimulate oil production in my skin (probably because of increased hormone levels). The oil was probably being produced at a faster rate than my skin was able to naturally slough off dead skin cells, therefore my pores would get clogged.

This is my non-technical version of what I think must've been happening

My Skin Is CLEAR!

I've eliminated all forms of caffeine and alcohol and my skin is clear. Of course I get the occasional zit, but not often. I also find that I need to wash my face with a washcloth or exfoliater in the evening and that will keep the occasional pimple to a minimum.

If you need help eliminating caffeine and developing a healthier diet, call me for an initial consultation. You will also receive life coaching along with your nutritional counseling...because it all goes together.